These are the stand-alone we’ve done in Homegroup inbetween series on a particular theme. Enjoy!
Random Questions 10/14/18: Big Bang, Evolution, and the Bible
This week we sang and discussed “My Hope is Built” (or “On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand”) by Edward Mote. After that we had a time of free questions. What we ended up discussing was the big bang and the question of modern Christians trying to integrate evolution and the creation account in genesis. This changed into a discussion of the teleological argument and and review of a particular PBS Crash Course called “Intelligent Design: Crash Course Philosophy #11” (url below). Lesson given on October 14, 2018.
This week we talked about Dispensationalism (something a few members of homegroup have been wanting to learn for a while). The hymn we sang was “Wonderful Grace of Jesus” by Haldor Lillenas. Lesson given August 12, 2018.
Questions on Culture
This week we sang and discussed “In Christ Alone” by Stuart Townend and Keith Getty but due to copyright I didn’t post the hymn this week. We then discussed culture. The definition of it, how to think about it, and how the church should interact with it. Lesson given on May 6, 2018.
Random Questions April 29, 2018
This week we sang and discussed the hymn “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross” by Isaac Watts, and then had what we usually call “Random Question Time.” It’s a time when people can ask any question, from theology, to Bible, to Politics, to general life. This week, we covered a wide range of questions/topics including:
– What was going on, on the other side of the world during the time of the Bible?
– Noah, the ark, the Flood
– Discussion of New Covenant and Old Covenant: How do we know which parts are still in effect?
– The purpose of and how to read the Bible
– Angels and Demons
Lesson given on April 29, 2018
The Goals of Homegroup
This week we sang and discussed the hymn “Holy, Holy, Holy” by Reginald Heber. After that, we did some self-reflection and analysis of our group. Below, in the “Downloads” section, is the sheet of statements I asked each member to respond to. The end result was a discussion of what is the goal of homegroup. Moving forward we will strive to embody these goals with everything we do. Lesson given on April 22, 2018.
The Goals of Homegroup
- To learn what is profitable for a healthy Christian life.
- To produce Godly character, primarily through informative instruction.
- To be an additional resource for Christian growth, but not to replace healthy membership in a local church.
- To address the questions churches are usually afraid to address.
- To instill in attendees a wonder and amazement at the glory, complexity, and majesty of the God who created and redeemed them.
- To organize and execute a trip to Riggins each year that it remains good to do so.
How to Watch a Movie
Our Hymn this week was “Amazing Grace” by John Newton. We then discussed the topic of how to watch a movie. We talked about analyzing the components of a movie and recognizing the main point or message a movie (or any work of art) is trying to convey. We practiced these skills on two short films and a clip from Frasier. Lesson given on Oct 8, 2017.